Re: And now for something completely different... etch!

Andrew Suffield dijo [Tue, Jun 07, 2005 at 02:32:53PM +0100]:
> > - Separate runlevels: 2 for multi, no net, 3 for multi no X, 4 for X, 4=5
>
> No way. Debian has always avoided mindlessly dictating what runlevels
> must be used for. There's no reason to destroy this feature now. And
> there's no advantage to consuming an entire runlevel just to say
> "/etc/init.d/xdm stop" or "/etc/init.d/networking stop", which is
> all that you are proposing.

We could provide default settings that lead to the LSB-specified
functionality that Javier suggests, but without falling in RedHat's
IMHO fucked up habit of starting [xwkg]dm not from an explicit script
(/etc/rc?.d/Sxx?dm), but directly from /etc/inittab, hiding it from
the user. If our display manager packages are set up to start only
from runlevel 4 or higher, but you and me can set them up to start on
any lower ones, we'll all be happy, won't we? Same thing for
networking.

Greetings,

--
Gunnar Wolf - gwolf@gwolf.org - (+52-55)1451-2244 / 5623-0154