Re: Better brand recognition for new Debian (etch)

First of all, thanks for your answers.

> IMHO, there is a series of (serious) problems in such a plan, such
> as:
>
> * we *do* have, after all, "tasks" to install desktops and (some,
>   specialized?) servers, without having to resort to creating
>  another 30G of repositories.

Well, you have a valid point here. And I must admit that I forgot
about that simple fact (tasks) for a moment.

Anyway, I still see an opportunity for improvement :-)

Yes, the tasks come right after installing base system and reboot.
But maybe (I say: maybe) they should be moved, or at least
described earlier in the process.
A whole lot of defaults could be preset based on such initial
choice, even components of the base system! Come on, is it really
needed to have _exactly_ the same base system and initial set
of programs on the server as well as on desktop system?
I don't know, I'm just asking.

On the other hand, I wasn't thinking about creating repositories,
just "profiles" above them. Under the cover there still could be
only stable / testing / whatever, like it is right now. In such
case "profiles" could be seen as another layer of abstraction.

Anyway, I'm not going to fight for it because:
* you've reminded me about tasks, and indeed I'm fine with that
* I am no Ian Murdock's advocate by any means, that was his
  original idea, possibly incompatible with The Debian Way.
  If he wants something, let he defend his ideas himself ;-)

Thanks again for the answers.

Friendly,
Wiktor Wandachowicz