Re: Ongoing Firefox (and Thunderbird) Trademark problems

Le mardi 14 juin 2005 à 14:50 -0400, Eric Dorland a écrit :
> Certainly retaining the name makes life easier. But the easier thing
> and the right thing are often in conflict. I've clearly been very
> reluctant to take the renaming step, because I know it will cause a
> lot of acrimony. But just because it's a painful step doesn't
> necessarily make it the wrong one.

Sorry I don't get your point.

I agree with Anthony and I share the point of view of Matthew.

Rebranding mozilla-firefox is a wrong choice, both in the short term and
in the long term.

If you think that you can't maintain firefox with this trademark
problem, then let someone else maintain it. But *please* do not impose a
rebranding of the software because you think it's the right thing to do.

I think we have had enough people in this tread who are in favor of
keeping the name just like we do with other software in similar
situations. But again the people against are the ones who are the more
active... :-|

> I think keeping the name does hurt Debian.

No, it doesn't. I don't want to repeat all the points already made by
Matthew, Anthony and the others. Consider this a "me too" for their
mails.

Regards,
--
Raphaël Hertzog -+- http://www.ouaza.com