Re: Ongoing Firefox (and Thunderbird) Trademark problems

Humberto Massa Guimarães <humberto.massa@almg.gov.br> wrote:
>> We're losing sight of the key issue here. We *cannot* use their
>> trademark under their current trademark policy. They are offering us a
>> deal that is Debian specific to allow use to use the marks. Can we
>> accept such a deal as a project? Does the DFSG allow us to?
>
> Well said. IMHO, no. DFSG #8 -- witch is part of the SC, IIRC -- forbids us to have rights that our users don't have.

(Your lines are too long, you're breaking threading and you seem to be
dropping attribution. Can you please do something about your mail?)

The social contract is not scripture. The Gods of free software did not
hand it to us engraved into gold tablets. We are free to reinterpret
them - we're even free to rewrite them. And, importantly, we should
think about *why* they say what they do. I believe (and history seems to
back me up on this) that DFSG 8 was intended to prevent a situation
where our users didn't have a full set of rights to the software we
provided. Can you suggest why your version is preferable?

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-chiark.mail.debian.devel@srcf.ucam.org