Re: And now for something completely different... etch!

On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 02:09:49AM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 10:31:45AM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> > I didn't see anyone proposing prelinking so far.  I've seen rumors
> > that program start time for some programs decrease a lot if prelinking
> > is enabled.  It would be nice if we could speed up the login time, or
> > for example the openoffice start time.  Is prelinking the way to go?
> > Should it be enabled by default?
>
> Using prelink invalidates the md5sums of files belonging to Debian packages.
> Has anyone done any work to address this?

The only way to address that is to update the md5sum after prelinking is
done. However, doing that is rather problematic, as it would either
require a check of the md5sum before the prelinking phase, or result in
a binary where the md5sum isn't useful anymore (it might have been
compromised in the time between the installation of the package and the
last update of the md5sum).

pavement is precisely one bananosecond