Re: Ongoing Firefox (and Thunderbird) Trademark problems

On Jun 15, Eric Dorland <eric@debian.org> wrote:

> > It's an important part in evaluating the balance between the priorities
> > of our users and free software...
> And where do we strike that balance in this case? I think gaining more
> freedom for our users is the best thing in the long run. Sure, there
> will be shorter term pain, but we need to take the long view.
I'm here to build the best free OS, not to collect the most liberal
trademarks. If a trademark license allows us to ship the software the
way we want and there are no practical problems in removing trademark
references if it were ever needed then I think it's obvious that we
would do a disservice to our users by removing from Debian such a widely
know trademark without a good reason.

There are good reasons for a trademark license to be restrictive and I
believe that the MF made a good case about their one, so I do not think
that it's important for users to have the permission to use it however
they want. The code is still free no matter how it is branded so this
is not an issue of software freedom, at best this is a marketing issue.

--
ciao,
Marco