Re: Ongoing Firefox (and Thunderbird) Trademark problems

On Tue, 2005-06-14 at 19:30 +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org> wrote:
> > While this argument was indeed tempting, I think we also need
> > to look at how free the resulting package is: Can a derivbative take
> > any package in main, modify it, and further redistribute it? If yes,
> > then the package can remain in main, and is free; if not, then the
> > package is not free.
>
> Our users have permission to modify it and further redistribute it *as
> long as they change the name*. That's a limitation we're willing to
> accept for ourselves - why should it not be free enough for our users?

Let's say we call it mozilla-firefox (assuming we are allowed to in the
first place) and downstream (making some modifications) is not allowed
to call it mozilla-firefox. If we call it debian-firefox then downstream
is still not allowed (under the same conditions) to call it
mozilla-firefox. The difference is not that huge to me. (but naming the
package just firefox seems to me like a good idea in the first place)

--
-- arthur - adejong@debian.org - http://people.debian.org/~adejong --