Re: Ongoing Firefox (and Thunderbird) Trademark problems

* Julien BLACHE (jblache@debian.org) wrote:
> Eric Dorland <eric@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > Now, the Mozilla Foundation is willing to give us permission to use
> > the marks, but only to Debian specifically. To me, this feels like a
> > violation (at least in spirit) of DFSG #8. It's now nearly six months
>
> I'd say that it is a clear violation of the DFSG, not only in spirit.
>
> > So for hopefully the last time I'd like to get people's opinion on
> > this before I take any action. Am I being too pedantic? I'd also love
> > to hear how Ubuntu is handling this (not to fan the flames, just to
> > get a different perspective).
>
> The Debian Way (tm) would be to drop mozilla, firefox and thunderbird
> from Debian -- there's no reason what works with the FSF can't work
> with the MoFo.

Don't be so militant. Firefox is clearly a popular and useful
program. There's no reason to be so extreme.

> By the way, what is the status wrt OpenOffice.org, which has the same
> kind of issue ?

I'm not sure, I don't think the issues are entirely the same.

--
Eric Dorland <eric.dorland@mail.mcgill.ca>
ICQ: #61138586, Jabber: hooty@jabber.com