Re: Ongoing Firefox (and Thunderbird) Trademark problems

* Cesar Martinez Izquierdo ::

> El Martes 14 Junio 2005 16:50, Marco d'Itri escribió:
> > > They don't care about free software. They don't care about
> > > distributors/vendors.
> >
> > This looks like a bold statement, and should be argumented > a
> > bit more if you want people to believe you.
>
> Moreover, it doesn't matter whether they care about free software
> or not.  The *fact* is that they produce free software. Debian is

You couldn't be more right. But is it free software after all?

> not here to be a moral judge of upstreams, the aim is to produce a
> distribution.
>
> Firefox is free software, and DFSG-compliant: "The license may
> require derived works to carry a different name or version number
> from the original software." (Even if it is "a compromise").

But is non-rebranded Firefox *really* distributable by us under
GPL#6, "no further restrictions"? It seems to me that if our users
can't customize and compile and distribute Firefox under the terms
of the GPL, we are passing along another restriction over those in
the GPL.

Obviously, I'm assuming that we are redistributing Firefox under the
terms of the GPL because IIRC the MPL is not DFSG-free.

> I think everything is clear enough. And I think it is quite
> reasonable that an upstream author asks for a name change for a
> modified version. Even for security fixes. There is lots of
> modified versions of programs out there and the upstreams authors
> are always suffering bug reports that doesn't concern the original
> version.

So, in this paragraph you are basically stating that we *should*
rename firefox to save them from such burden.

> And if you finally plan to rename Firefox, you should start
> renaming PHP, unless I missed something...

If the same restriction applies to PHP, I'm all for it.

--
HTH,
Massa