Re: Ongoing Firefox (and Thunderbird) Trademark problems

Gervase Markham <gerv@mozilla.org> wrote:

> I would say, though, that given the great ease with which one can
> rebrand Firefox (see below for evidence), which is probably easier than
> almost any other existing application of comparable size due to the
> Netscape heritage and their need to rebrand, I don't think that it would
> be significantly limiting downstream freedoms if we said they had to
> change the name (or ask us) for *all* modifications. After all, that's
> what some packages whose licenses have name-change clauses say.

As we discussed at some point, it would be really lovely if this process
could either be documented or integrated into the build system - being
able to do

--disable-official-branding --name="Debian Iceweasel"

in configure would make life much easier and make it clear what level of
changes are expected in order to conform with the trademark policy.

(I don't think this is an issue for DFSG compliance, it's just something
that would be nice to have :) )

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-chiark.mail.debian.devel@srcf.ucam.org