Re: And now for something completely different... etch!

El Domingo 12 Junio 2005 01:24, Russell Coker escribió:
> On Tuesday 07 June 2005 19:31, Cesar Martinez Izquierdo
> <dispiste@gmail.com>
>
> wrote:
> > What about switching from getty to mingetty? Is there any reason to use
> > getty by default?
>
> Is there any reason to change?

Well, I'm not very well informed about the subject, but some time ago I run in
problems with getty freezing.
Then I discovered mingetty, which claims to be "small, efficient". I also
discovered that getty has some code to allow dial in our computer, which most
of the people don't use nowadays and it makes getty more complex than
required.

Then I switched to mingetty and I never had problems with it.
I sold my old hardware before the bug in getty got fixed.
Now it seems that the problem is fixed (according to DBTS), but anyway I think
that it is not a bad idea to switch to the simpler, smaller program that
just-do-the-work. I think that the users that need a different *getty program
have very specific needs and they know how to swich form mingetty to *getty
(and anyway maybe they don't use getty but mgetty).

On the other hand, I see that the memory usage diferences between getty and
mingetty are really small, so maybe the change is not worthy...

Regards,

  César