Re: And now for something completely different... etch!

On Sunday 12 June 2005 09:14, Frans Pop <aragorn@tiscali.nl> wrote:
> Some older BIOSes don't allow booting from CD-ROM, let alone netbooting or

It's easy to solve the problem of a BIOS that doesn't support booting from
CD-ROM.  You have a boot loader on a floppy disk that loads the kernel and
initrd from CD.

> I hope not if it can be avoided with a little bit of extra effort. As long
> as the kernel supports it, we should try to allow people to install
> Debian on it. For me, it's one of the attractions of Open Source.

Supporting old kernels also takes time, not only from the people who maintain
the kernels but from people who maintain applications that depend on kernel
functionality.

People who have really old hardware should ask at their local LUG if someone
has any unused computers that they don't need.  I've offered quite a few old
computers for free to members of my LUG.  Recently I offered a P3-800 machine
with broken PSU and a Pentium 200 machine that was fully operational and
found no-one who wanted them.  It seems that at my LUG there's no-one who has
lesser hardware.