Re: And now for something completely different... etch!

On Sunday 12 June 2005 00:51, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On Jun 12, Frans Pop <fjp@debian.org> wrote:
> > I have a very nice Pentium I (my internet gateway) that has a broken
> > CD-drive and no USB (and certainly wouldn't boot from USB even if it
> > had) but that installs perfectly from floppy.
> You said it: it's *broken*.

Pardon my French, but that's bullshit. The system is perfectly fine. Since
when is a CD drive an essential component. Since never!

> Expecting to support some old hardware is OK, expecting to support old
> and broken hardware is not.

Some older BIOSes don't allow booting from CD-ROM, let alone netbooting or
booting from USB. Are we going to be like M$ and force users to buy the
latest and greatest hardware to run Debian?

I hope not if it can be avoided with a little bit of extra effort. As long
as the kernel supports it, we should try to allow people to install
Debian on it. For me, it's one of the attractions of Open Source.