Re: And now for something completely different... etch!

Il giorno gio, 09-06-2005 alle 19:06 +0200, Frans Pop ha scritto:
> On Thursday 09 June 2005 18:45, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> > On Jun 09, Adrian von Bidder <avbidder@fortytwo.ch> wrote:
> > > Dropping 2.4 can easily be done on relatively short notice prior to
> > > etch release, so no need to worry about now.
> >
> > It would be too late, because at that time we would have wasted a
> > couple of years trying to support them.
> > This kind of decision should be taken early in the development cycle.
>
> Making the decision early would also help d-i development as we could then
> start cleaning e.g. keyboard selection (and console-data).
> Being able to rely on sysfs being present would also simplify hardware
> detection in some cases.

Right, this would really simplify d-i development. My personal opinion
is that 2.6.8 isn't enought mature to be used on server installation
with multidisk, lvm and XFS.
But, when Etch will be released, we will probably have 2.6.25 or such
available. I think, in this case, 2.6 could really be offered as a
complete replacement for 2.4.

Giuseppe