Re: And now for something completely different... etch!

On Tuesday 07 June 2005 23.32, Roger Leigh wrote:
> Frans Pop <aragorn@tiscali.nl> writes:
> > On Tuesday 07 June 2005 23:02, Roger Leigh wrote:
> >> Existing installs are already configured with debconf.  Their
> >> /etc/locale.gen will not be touched.
> >>
> >> If you do dpkg-reconfigure locales, then users could have the locale
> >> switch to UTF-8 if they so choose.
> >
> > AFAIK locales are automatically regenerated when the locales package is
> > upgraded, so this _would_ effect every existing install directly on
> > upgrade to the new release.
>
> locale-gen is run, but /etc/locale.gen is not necessarily altered.  If
> you don't change it, it will regenerate the same locales you already
> have.

But 'the same locale I already have' would probably mean 'the locale with
the name of the locale I previously had' which has now suddenly changed its
behaviour.

No easy way out - either you force people to adapt locale.gen, or you don't
change locale names.

cheers
-- vbi

--
"L'uomo" - diceva S... - "e' un animale ben sciocco, almeno a giudicare
da me stesso".