Re: Why apt-get is not a proper software search engine (was Re: And now for something completely different... etch!)

On Tue, Jun 07, 2005 at 10:44:53PM +0200, Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña wrote:
> - use package dependancies to ponder if this is an end-user package or
> something pulled in by other packages (users typically look for end-user
> programs)

I do not think will work very well. Where do you set the dependency
threshold for end-user packages? 0? Then you'll probably miss all
packages that support plugins (e.g. sylpheed-claws, ion3, ..). More?
Then you'll probably get lots of false positives.

The reverse dependency count just isn't a very good metric for "is
an end-user package". I think it's also a job for debtags or
something like it, to tell us what is an end-user package and what
isn't.

Cheers,
Christian Aichinger