Re: And now for something completely different... etch!

On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 02:18:28PM +0100, Simon Huggins wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 07, 2005 at 02:25:22PM +0100, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 07, 2005 at 10:23:33AM +0200, Thomas Hood wrote:
> > > To begin with we can all go back and review:
> > >     http://wiki.debian.net/index.cgi?ReleaseProposals
> > I reviewed it and it still all falls into two groups:
> >  - Votes for more money ("Suck less", "Release better and more often")
>
> Why do you think release more often is a vote for "more money"?

A 'vote for more money' is a crazy habit that plagues various forms of
government and corporation, but most commonly the worker
cooperative. It's when the workers pass a vote that simply pays them
higher wages, or anything similar. The problem with it being that
voting for it doesn't generate any extra money to pay them, so it's
just not going to happen.

The point here would be that this subset of the 'proposals' doesn't
contain anything that would accomplish the stated goal. It's all very
well to say 'we should release more often' or 'maintainers should suck
less', but saying it won't make it happen. I don't consider statements
like "We should fix the problems" to be meaningful proposals, it's
just manager-style bullshit.

> I think having a target date, even a target month for release, would
> help everyone and reduce the posts to -release lately where people have
> finally crawled out of the woodwork to say please let such and such a
> package in.

This one is "release managers should make real, practical, believable
plans and communicate them to the developers, and then stick to
them". Which, I will note, is not on that wiki page. Also it already
seems to have been happening for sarge, now that Anthony Towns has
been replaced, so I don't think it really qualifies as a proposal.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |