Re: Is Ubuntu a debian derivative or is it a fork?

<quote who="Stephen Birch" date="2005-06-08 03:44:50 -0700">
> Matt Zimmerman(mdz@debian.org)@2005-06-07 16:06:
> > On Tue, Jun 07, 2005 at 04:03:24PM -0700, Stephen Birch wrote:
> >
> > > Matt Zimmerman(mdz@ubuntu.com)@2005-06-07 13:35:
> > >
> > > Likewise, I am sure you can understand my hesitation to accept a
> > > definition of success which means that Debian ceases to exist. :-)
> >
> > Fortunately, no one has proposed any such thing, and we all want Debian to
> > continue to thrive.
>
> Sorry Matt, I intended for that to be humor.  In a good natured way I
> was pointing out that a zero byte diff could also mean that debian had
> ceased to exist.

Depends on how you look at it. It might mean that everyone figured a
way to agree on a single version of an OS and applications to fit
their needs. :) Since that is perhaps the only option on the table
more unlikely than asking either project to disband, we need to work
-- Debian, Ubuntu and those other 100+ Debian derivations -- on the
tools and processes for derivations/forking that makes all of our
lives easier.

Ubuntu going away wouldn't solve this problem. Debian-based
distributions are an ecosystem now and that's not the fault of nor
limited to Ubuntu. I think we need to start thinking about systemic
solutions. More on this from me once things have cooled down a bit. :)

Regards,
Mako

--
Benjamin Mako Hill