Re: And now for something completely different... etch!

On Tue, Jun 07, 2005 at 10:56:44PM -0500, David Starner wrote:
> "Thaddeus H. Black" writes:
> > However, past character-set discussions on debian-devel
> > have also established how maddening it is to see a '-'
> > in a man page, unsearchable because it is not really a
> > '-';
>
> The simple fact is, there is a variety of dashes used in proper
> English printing, and any universal character set is going to
> have to deal with that. You can turn off this feature in man with
> a one line change in a config file, and Debian could make it the
> default;

I already did:

groff (1.18.1.1-7) unstable; urgency=low

  * Too many fonts are missing the Unicode HYPHEN character, so I give up.
    Render "-" as HYPHEN-MINUS (ASCII 0x2D) by default. (Of course, manual
    pages using "-" when they should be using "\-" should still be fixed.)

 -- Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org>  Fri, 18 Mar 2005 17:57:51 +0000

> or programs that let you search text could merge the various dashes at
> the same time they're merging cases.

That would be far preferable.

Cheers,