Re: And now for something completely different... etch!

On Tue, Jun 07, 2005 at 03:51:46PM -0400, Brendan wrote:
> On Tuesday 07 June 2005 09:37 am, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> > I agree.  I rather like being able to configure run levels to my liking.
>
> I'm sorry, but this sets off my "Give me a break" reaction...
> There's nothing wrong with a "By Default, this runlevel is this...but you can
> change it if you wish"...You'll be getting rid of an easy-to-remember key
> that helps many newbies remember what the heck is going on "Oh, /etc/inittab
> says I start up in 3, that must mean it's multi-user with no GUI".
> To leave it up in the air so that a few people can dork out and define their
> own (yes, I'm kidding...but only a little) seems a bit like throwing over
> some ease-of-use for dorkin' it hardcore.
>
> I mean, it's not up to me, but if it was, I would have some easy-to-remember
> guidelines like
> "3 is multi-user with no X" "5 is full gui, etc."
> Remember, init 0 and 6 are well-defined already....

OK.  Where, pray tell, is a newbie going to learn about that?  Most
newbies that come from MS Windows and Mac OS understand three modes of a
computer, to us run levels 0, 6 and {2,3,4,5}.  Personally, I think it
is much more newbie friendly to have run levels 2-5 be the same.  It is
also more expert friendly since you can tweak to your heart's content.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://familiasanchez.net/~sanchezr