Re: Is Ubuntu a debian derivative or is it a fork?

On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 11:21:35PM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:

> >>They do not provide an apt-get - able Debian mirror.
> >
> >They provide free software in .deb format.
> Not really - as far as you don't consider dpkg-repack they do not
> really, but we could spent our time better than just splittig hairs.

What does dpkg-repack have to do with it?  Those organizations package free
software in Debian format and distribute it.  In most instances, the
packages which are specific to these derivatives have not been incorporated
into Debian.

Certainly you are aware of this, since you refer to work you have done to
try to incorporate these extensions, so I don't understand your earlier
statement that you were not aware of the existence of such projects, nor do
I understand why you seem to imply that Ubuntu should be treated differently
in this respect.

--
 - mdz