Re: Canonical and Debian

On 06/06/05, Julien BLACHE <jblache@debian.org> wrote:
> "Michael K. Edwards" <m.k.edwards@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Ensuring that packages build and run properly on a wide variety of
> > architectures is _work_.  I happen to think that it's worthwhile work,
>
> It is work, but it's up to the maintainers to track their builds. The
> release team really shouldn't have to worry about that for each and
> every package in the distribution.
Yes it is for most, the less archs the better, because then it's
easier to get specific feedback from a wider group of technical
abilities on a package (i'm speaking generally).  How many entry level
computer users get a Sparc or another non-mainstream processor.

> Unfortunately, far too many developers do not give a shit about
> anything else but i386.
I think most do "give a shit" about other platforms, I think it's just
the way everyone (esp people that buy these odd archs without really
finding out how good the support is for it first) expects a developer
to have every single arch that their program/package gets built on in
their office/bedroom/coding room (yes apparently some people have
them) so they can provide support for all of them.  This is really, a)
mad & b) unpractical because some developers/maintainers are a)
students, b) workers on already tight timelines (with other
commitments), c) any other group that i havn't mentioned.  Hence
causing these people to loose interest on all other archs other than
their own (i think the feeling goes the same way for dev's using sparc
and that don't have i386's to test on.)

No meaning to Sparc (i'm not sure if I even spelt it right), just the
first one I could think of.