Re: C++ ABI change for etch -- freeze unstable for all C++ libs with changed or new sonames

On Sun, Jun 05, 2005 at 06:01:33PM +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le dimanche 05 juin 2005 à 17:57 +0200, Tollef Fog Heen a écrit :
> > The plan outlined in
> > http://lists.debian.org/debian-release/2005/04/msg00153.html is what
> > Ubuntu is already doing.  Note that some of the people involved in the
> > Ubuntu transition are Matthias Klose and Jeff Bailey so it would be
> > nice if you didn't go about spreading FUD like that.
>
> Oh, great. I forgot that Canonical's business model is to use Ubuntu as
> an upstaging area for Debian, so that we're always lagging behind.

The outline for this C++ transition was run past debian-release@ well
before anything happened in Ubuntu, precisely to avoid painful
desynchronisation between the two distributions, and to make sure that
everyone could have a say before anything happened in either
distribution. The people doing the work were pretty much the same people
who did the work last time, anyway; I can't see how you'd do a C++
transition without having, say, the lead gcc maintainer involved ...

In mid-April, very little active development was happening on Ubuntu due
to conference timings, so it's likely that the transition would have
taken place in Debian first if we hadn't been in the middle of a deep
freeze (which thank God is finally coming to a close). The Ubuntu
development team took the decision not to wait, because it was clearly
better to make the change as close to the beginning of a release cycle
as possible in order to have as much time as possible to clean up any
resulting problems. This had nothing to do with fictional business
models and everything to do with straightforward practical release
management.

Cheers,