Re: Is Ubuntu a debian derivative or is it a fork?

Hey Adeodato,

Am Sonntag, den 05.06.2005, 04:29 +0200 schrieb Adeodato Simó:
>   but on the
>   packaging side they work as closely as possible: common VCS repository
>   and whatever.

This sounds really cool.

>   specially for non-experienced packagers, doesn't help here
>   either (correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that getting a sponsored
>   upload to universe happens faster and more easily than a sponsored
>   upload to sid).

We get those people there. Our NEW packages policy states that every
completely new package has to be reviewed by at least 3 maintainers or
MOTUs. The packages in question are in a pretty good state and the MOTU
hopefuls work incredibly hard to get into it.

>     - an ITP is filed if they intend to search a for a Debian sponsor
>       and maintain the Debian package themselves, otherwise a RFP is
>       submitted

To be honest, I wasn't that familiar with the Debian administrative
devices, but if these measures help in any way, I will discuss it in the
MOTUMeeting ( http://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTUMeeting ).

>       (*) Or a generic label could be used, e.g. "[from-derived-dist]".

Yeah, why not.

Have a nice day,
 Daniel