Re: Is Ubuntu a debian derivative or is it a fork?

On Tue, 31 May 2005, John Goerzen wrote:

I've also been on the other side of the coin, and something that makes
it difficult for the derivers is lack of communication from some
quarters of Debian.  I certainly recall frustration about inactive
maintainers, and we must remember that there are maintainers in Debian
that can't even be bothered to apply good patches when they see them.
If there are inactive maintainers in Debian why not starting group
maintainance?  The Ubuntu maintainer might be listed in the Uploaders
field and find a sponsor to upload the package (in the best case the
other maintainer).  THis is called group maintainance and IMHO the
biggest problem in Debian is that outsiders often assume they just
have to wait until something in Debian is done.  If they are active
persons they do something outside others just whine about Debian. But
the best solution would be how to learn how to do things *inside*
Debian instead of forking / spooning / deriving / whatevering.

Kind regards

         Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de