Re: Is Ubuntu a debian derivative or is it a fork?

On Tue, May 31, 2005 at 08:56:15AM -0700, Stephen Birch wrote:
> Forgive me if this has already been discussed ... if so could someone
> give me a pointer to the thread.

All the time. Just look for anything about ubuntu on -devel or
-project.

> I find myself fairly confused about Ubuntu packages.  I had thought
> that Ubuntu is a Debian derivative.  Therefore I expected new
> packages to be first placed in Debian and then flow to Ubuntu.
>
> However, I recently found this page:
>
> https://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/MOTUNewPackages
>
> The project seems to have established a mechanism for putting new
> packeges directly into Ubuntu.  Are new Ubuntu packages also put in
> Debian by the Ubuntu team members?
>
> The Ubuntu literature indicates that Ubuntu is a derivative of debian
> but it looks more like a fork to me.

It's a fork.

> Also, when Ubuntu makes improvements to packages how do those
> improvements flow back to Debian?

They generally don't. Ubuntu considers it more effective to spend
their time on PR to make people think they are giving stuff back, than
to actually do it; it generates more 'goodwill', since most people
won't bother to check. This thread will probably become a good
example, most of the others did.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |