Re: depending on shared libbfd from binutils-dev

On Sun, May 22, 2005 at 12:24:28PM -0500, Micah Anderson wrote:
> The package description for binutils-dev says the following:

> > package includes header files and static libraries necessary to build
> > programs which use the GNU BFD library, which is part of binutils.
> > Note that building Debian packages which depend on the shared libbfd
> > is Not Allowed.

> I see this in the binutils-dev package description, however I dont see
> it anywhere else, not in the policy, not in lintian/linda checks, not
> on any mailing lists.... I see a couple of people on debian-devel
> asking (a couple years ago) what the deal is with this, but no
> informative responses. Does anyone know *why* this is and why this
> isn't documented somewhere more visible?

Because libbfd does not have a stable ABI suitable for public use, nor is
there currently a way to express a dependency on this library without
things breaking (you can't depend on "binutils" and have any guarantee of
getting the correct lib).

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer