Location of Web Application Data, Policy 11.5.3

Hi,

quoting from Policy 11.5.3:

    Web Applications should try to avoid storing files in the Web Document
    Root. Instead they should use the /usr/share/doc/package directory for
    documents and register the Web Application via the menu package

I have two issues with that:

(1) I think that /usr/share/doc/package is an error which should be
    /usr/share/package. If I remember correctly, we changed policy some
    time ago, and today nothing may depend on files installed to
    /usr/share/doc/package.

(2) I fail to see what the menu package has to do with things. Is
    there actually a mechanism which allows a web application to
    register itself with the menu package, and the web server install
    a menu handler which automatically generates the appropriate
    config snippets? configure itself for the application? If that
    mechanism exists, why isn't it in wide use? Most web applications
    I use either work out of the box with static html files and
    cgi-scripts accessible on the normal path, or bring their own
    /etc/apache/conf.d config snippet with them. The latter has the
    problem that only apache dialects are supported at all, and that
    effort is to be duplicated for apache and apache2.

Am I missing something or is this part of policy widely ignored?

http://blog.zugschlus.de/archives/17-Location-of-Web-Application-Data.html#extended
has a copy of this message and will be updated depending of the result
of this discussion.

Greetings
Marc