apt in experimental (Re: APT 0.6 migration -- second status report)

On Wed, May 04, 2005 at 05:41:18PM +0200, Norbert Tretkowski wrote:

> By the way... what about updating apt 0.6 in experimental? Matt, any
> plans? Ubuntu ships apt 0.6.35, but Debian still has 0.6.25.

I have tried in the past to keep an updated apt in experimental, but it's
non-trivial because of the dependent packages.

That is, I would upload apt to experimental, along with
python-apt+aptitude+synaptic+libapt-pkg-perl+etc.  (versioned as NMUs).
Then, new versions of these packages would be uploaded to unstable, which
would supersede the versions I uploaded and cause them to be removed from
experimental.

This made the experimental apt significantly less useful, since most folks
couldn't install it without removing these other packages (which they want
to keep), unless they did the rebuilds themselves.

One way around this would be for all of the maintainers of packages
depending on apt to agree to a significant version number increment when
moving to apt 0.6; then such versions could remain in experimental without
being removed.

--
 - mdz