Re: Urgently need GPL compatible libsnmp5-dev replacement :-(

On Wed, 04 May 2005, Christian Hammers wrote:
> One of my packages, Quagga, is licenced under the GPL but is supposed to
> get linked against NetSNMP. That now is problematic, as NetSNMP depends
> on OpenSSL (for SNMPv3 crypto support?) which is not GPL compatible.

A simple extension to Quagga's (*and* NetSNMP if it is GPLed) license
allowing for linking to OpenSSL is probably the easiest way to fix this (and
since that is a documentation change, it would get into sarge).

> Or would it be possible to fork NetSNMP into a libsnmp5-gpl-dev package?

That would be etch-land.  The most sane way to fix this would be to get
NetSNMP to be able to link to the GNU version of OpenSSL (I don't recall how
it is called).

  Henrique Holschuh