Re: Status of PHP5?

On Tuesday 26 of April 2005 14:09, Mark Brown wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 26, 2005 at 12:15:38AM +0200, Piotr Roszatycki wrote:
> > Hijacking? For 10 months there are no packages. I should start MIA
> > procedure. The ITP seems like to be orphaned.
>
> This goes both ways, though: the packages you've produced are very
> different to the existing PHP packages and fairly unusual in terms of
> just being plain Debian packages (I'm thinking mostly of yada here).
> Doing more incremental changes would make it much easier for people to
> pick up and work with what you've done.

Let me explain my opinion:

I have a time for developing the packages with yada. I don't want to switch to
other system like dpatch or cdbs or plain debhelper because I think it would
be more difficult for me to maintain my packages and it would be plain
nonsense. I want to make my job easier, not harder.

The standards for Debian Project are the Debian Policy and the Debian
Developer's Reference. Where in these documents is paragraph describing that
the debhelper (or cdbs, dpatch, yada, plain dpkg) is the only tool which I
can utilise?

We have an experimental area in the distribution. Even if the php5 packages
are not ready to the sarge release, it SHOULD go at least to experimental. No
packages = no progress.

I don't care that my packages will appear in official archive. I really want
to see ANY official php5 packages in the distribution. I need them. People
need them. I didn't found anything in the distro so I made them. If you don't
think they are good, please provide better packages. I'd like to see
constructive criticism.

There is no php5 packages in distro and it is very sad. The bureaucracy in the
Debian Project is absolutly frightening. I've never seen so many FUD before.

--
 .''`.    Piotr Roszatycki, Netia SA
: :' :    mailto:Piotr_Roszatycki@netia.net.pl