Re: Status of PHP5?

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005, Romain Francoise wrote:
> > I don't see any bonus in converting the YADA-based packages to the
> > other build system. I don't understand why it might be a reason for
> > rejection.
>
> Well, you co-authored yada, didn't you?  Of course it sounds ideal to
> you.  But don't you understand that other developers might not like it
> as much as you do?

I see that other developers don't like current php4 packages. There is no
php4 woody backport. I'm sure the reason is the package is horribly hard
to maintain. The much easier way is to make it from scratch. See
sources.dotdeb.org. So I did the same.

Please, don't tell the backports are unimportant. The backports.org is one
of the most important Debian sub-projects. Fortunately, some people do
really good job instead pure talking.

> I don't and in fact, I have nothing to do with PHP whatsoever.  I'm
> suggesting that you try to work with existing teams instead of doing
> your own thing in your corner and then whining when it gets rejected.
> Debian has more than 900 developers, a minimum amount of cooperation is
> necessary...  it may not work as well as you want but hijacking other
> people's packages is not a solution.

I'd like to ask one more time: where is mailing list, the repository,
project page? It doesn't seem like open project.

Cooperation? A little less conversations, more action, please. Do you know
"The cathedral and the bazaar"?

Hijacking? For 10 months there are no packages. I should start MIA
procedure. The ITP seems like to be orphaned.

--
.''`.    Piotr Roszatycki, Netia SA
: :' :    mailto:Piotr_Roszatycki@netia.net.pl