Re: Status of 'sarge' for the amd64 architecture

In article <[🔎] 20050423144003.GB27703@khazad-dum.debian.net>,
Henrique de Moraes Holschuh  <hmh@debian.org> wrote:
>On Sat, 23 Apr 2005, Adrian Bunk wrote:
>> A silly question to you as release manager:
>
>Silly indeed. Use the list archives.  You cannot miss the monstruous threads
>about it.
>
>> What exactly are the technical reasons why amd64 can't simply be shipped
>> as 12th architecture with sarge?
>
>Mirror space.  Instead of replying and beating a dead, burried, and already
>decomposed horse, just go read the archives.

Well, there's several mirrors like ftp.nl.debian.org and ftp.debian.nl
that now mirror _both_ official debian and debian-amd64. Which means
the source is mirrored twice already. On those mirrors, including
amd64 would mean less mirror space, not more.

Because of the popularity of amd64/em64t I expect a lot of mirrors
to follow suit, anyway. So in the end it doesn't really matter
if sarge includes amd64 or not - the mirrors will carry it regardless.
It would be simpler though to include amd64 with sarge.

Mike.