Re: All GPL'ed programs have to go to non-free

On Wed, Apr 20, 2005 at 09:39:23AM -0400, Daniel Burrows wrote:

>   Adrian,
>
>   I believe that you are misrepresenting the outcome of -004.  The proposal to
> postpone the changes till after the release, then reinstate them, defeated
> option D  (rescind -003) by a 2:1 majority.  The only options I can see that
> D defeated by a 2.3:1 majority are option F (do nothing at all) and Further
> Discussion, which all the voters had been told would result in a further
> delay of the Sarge release.

A 2.3:1 majority preferred option D to revert -003 over option F to
reaffirm -003.

Rereading the results, I get your point about option B compared to D,
making the whole issue even more mysterious.

Could anyone give a definitive answer to the following questions:
- Did -003 contain real changes [1] or didn't it change anything?
- How is it possible to happen that only a small amount of the Debian
  developers (less than one out of four) participates in a GR vote,
  the consequences of this GR do not become widely known until after
  the GR, and one month later, corrections to this GR are widely
  accepted?
- If -003 changed anything, were there Debian developers who mistakenly
  agreed to -003 because of it's obfuscated "Editorial amendments"
  title?

If the intention of GRs was to express the opinion of the Debian
developers, the whole -003 and -004 mess seems to be a way how to not do
it.

>   Daniel

cu
Adrian

[1] as stated in the accepted option B of -004

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.
                                       Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed