Re: FTBFS for illegal archs

On Sat, Apr 16, 2005 at 12:21:36PM +0200, Nico Golde wrote:
> I read the policy, I know what it says.

Okay, good :)

(it would've helped if you had mentioned the following in your original
mail...)

* Jeroen:
> Please also try to make your package actually FTBFS on systems not
> supporting acpi, if that's possible, besides limiting the Architecture
> line as you've already done.

For one thing, when using dpkg-buildpackage, a package will FTBFS if the
Architecture line doesn't contain the architecture you're building on
(unless I'm mistaken, but I don't think I am).

That being said, I'm not sure this is necessary. For starters, Jeroen
included the "if that's possible" bit; but apart from that, it's not
because the ACPI interface does not exist for an architecture today that
it will never exist; it's not completely impossible that one day,
someone will make a PowerPC-based system with an ACPI interface, even if
it is unlikely. At that point, it'd be nice if the package would build
for PowerPC without /too/ much effort. And as long as it won't build on
PowerPC today, your job is done, I'd say.

pavement is precisely one bananosecond