Re: Ubuntu Patches

Scripsit Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org>

> The problem is that you are both looking at the process in reverse.  As I
> explained, Ubuntu imports a subset of bugs from the Debian bug tracking
> system, and those are the bugs which are relevant to the process I
> described.

You make it sound like Unbutu's *only* source of knowledge about bugs
is the Debian BTS.  Do Unbutu's users never report bugs? Do their
developers never find bugs themselves?

> Patches are always published regardless of how they came to be applied, or
> whether they correspond to a bug at all, via an automated process.  This
> process does not open bugs in debbugs (for obvious reasons).

I still don't see why it is "obvious" not to pass the fix upstream
when one fixes a bug that upstream does not know about.

--
Henning Makholm                     "It's just as meaningful to say that our
                 ancestors could easily have been very much like squirrels."