Re: *** SPAM *** Re: NEW handling: About rejects, and kernels (Was: Re: NEW handling ...)

On Mon, Mar 21, 2005 at 05:10:12PM +0100, Andreas Barth wrote:
> * Matthew Wilcox (matthew@wil.cx) [050321 17:05]:
> > I'm not going to volunteer for them as I intend to leave Debian
> > shortly after sarge releases.
>
> Why do you intend to leave Debian?

The Vancouver meeting summary upset me, not because of the proposals
to drop architectures, but because it contained a reminder of the
Social Contract changes.  The project is moving to what I believe to
be a ridiculously extremist position.  I can't support the new Social
Contract, and wouldn't sign up for it if I were going through NM right
now.  So the only honourable thing for me to do is resign at the point
when it come into effect.

It saddens me greatly that we've come to this situation.  I've been
proud to be a Debian Developer for the past 6 years.  I'd like to say,
as others have when resigning, that I will continue to run Debian on my
machines, but I can't.  Moving documentation to non-free makes Debian
a less suitable distribution for me.  I shall have to look around and
see what other distributions suit my needs.

I'd like to thank my friends in Debian who've made it worth working on.
Those who've been involved in the PA-RISC port (which I first joined
Debian to work on).  The Apache team have done a fantastic job, and I'm
proud of how that worked out.

I didn't realise how emotionally attached I was until I came to write
this mail.  I really wish things could have worked out better.