Re: Do not make gratuitous source uploads just to provoke the buildds!

On Tue, Mar 15, 2005 at 09:56:10AM +0100, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:

> >> I would like to see some stats showing on how many days in the last
> >> year an arch reached 0 needs-build. I highly doubt that any arch
> >> managed to do it every day troughout the last year.

> > You know why goals are important? 0 needs-build is definitly a goal we
> > should work to.

> I disagree. 0 needs-build once a day is a bad line to draw. Saying
> packages must be build a day before they become testing candidates
> would be a better line. But that would require a non starving queue to
> mean anything but 0 needs-build.

> I don't see any great harm with packages getting build 5 days late if
> they have to wait 10 days for testing. As long as they do get build on
> time.

Ah, but packages that are being uploaded with urgency=low are usually not a
concern for the release team at all; it's the *high*-urgency uploads that
normally demand the release team's attention, and these are precisely the
ones that slower build architectures are going to have a harder time
building within the purgatory interval (2 days, not 10, for high-urgency
packages).  To say nothing of the fact that urgency is not currently
considered for package build ordering, which means that it's very possible
for a high-urgency upload to go for 2 days without being tried at all.

> But what do I know, I'm not an RM. So lets thing about the criterion:

> Strictly requiring 0 needs-builds every day means the buildd must have
> enough power to cope even with huge upload peeks and if one of the
> buildds fail at a peak time no arch will cope with that. Obviously
> some leaway will have to be given for arch to temporarily not meat the
> criterion, say 0 needs-build on 75% of all days and no more than 3
> consecuitve failures wihtout special circumstances or something of
> that sort. Right?

> Or do you realy want to remove i386 from the release if it fails 0
> needs-build 10 times before etch release?

Andreas never said anything about this being the criterion for RC
architectures.  He said it should be a *goal*.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer