On Thu, Mar 17, 2005 at 09:47:42PM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> Well, the release team are not the only Debian developers with credibility,
> surely?  Not everything needs to go through us; if the project has the will
> to do stable releases of these architectures, in spite of the release team
> being unwilling to delay other architectures while waiting for them, then
> it should be very possible to provide full stable releases for these
> architectures.

If releases can be made without going through the Release team, then it
is not the Release team anymore.

Debian is a volunteer project. You are not the Release team by fiat, but
because you are doing the work. If you stop working on doing what is
generally understood as a Debian release and want to work on a crippled
4-archs releases, it is certainly your right, but you will not be the
Release team then. The people working on the real Debian release will be.
Debian will not work-around you to release for the other architecture,
because you will be irrelevant.

And it is not a personnal attack, it is just the way things work.

And still Steve and Colin, I think that you have made a wonderful job so
far.  The Vancouver plan looks like you feel yourself a failure because
your initial sarge release plan was stretched unreasonnably, but it is
completly unwarranted, and you have shown us all how to handle testing
transition in a faster and more controled way several[1] times already,
and I am sure we will benefit from this experience in the future.  But
don't despair! Etch will start on a much more solid ground than Sarge.
It is much too soon to give up, Debian has enormous resource that has
yet to come into play.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>