Re: [RFC] OpenLDAP automatic upgrade

> Why? (technical reasons, please). Not that I am assuming there is enough
> evidence to downgrade anything but OpenLDAP just yet, but your reply seems
> to imply that even if there were, you would still not downgrade.

If there were anything besides FUD, I'd consider it on its own merits,
but all I've seen thus far is an anecdote that OpenLDAP has trouble with
some version of db4.3 on some platform because of some undescribed flaw
related to the log format change.  There does not appear to be a report
in the Debian BTS about this problem.

So, given that I don't see any reason to expect problems from db4.3, and
that it would be painful for sarge and sid users to switch back to
db4.2, I don't intend to do so.

Now, as far as pestering other maintainers goes, I don't believe there's
a point there either.  Most of the packages currently built against
libdb4.3 don't use transactional environments, and thus cannot be bitten
by the txn log problem mentioned by Quanah Gibson-Mount.

If there are any real problems with software built with Debian's db4.3
packages (which are built quite differently than Fedora's, for example),
they should be reported so they can be fixed.