Re: Another load of typos

On Thu, Mar 17, 2005 at 09:04:14AM -0800, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> Hamish Moffatt <hamish@debian.org> writes:

> > (This might be a topic without a possible conclusion!)
> > Funny, but although I'd say "an HTML file" or "an HTTPS url" or
> > similar, I'd say "a history achievement".

> Ah, in "a history achievement", you accent the first syllable of
> "history", which provokes you to pronounce the H.  In "an historic
> achievement", the first syllable of "historic" is weak, and so most
> Americans (at least) do not pronounce the H, and so we use "an".

The only people I can recall ever hearing say "an historic" in en_US were
idiot politicians, and they *did* pronounce the initial h.

For that matter, I can't recall ever hearing anyone drop an initial h just
because the syllable was unstressed.

On what do you base this claim of "most"?

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer