Re: Do not make gratuitous source uploads just to provoke the buildds!

Andreas Barth wrote:
* Matthew Palmer (mpalmer@debian.org) [050313 01:05]:

On Sat, Mar 12, 2005 at 03:12:12PM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:

Er, packages *do* eventually get built; they just don't get built in any
kind of FIFO order.

Er, no.  Unless there's some sort of aging process (not yet described in the
threads here) which will result in an extra package called zappa in section
x11 from eventually being promoted above a package aardvark in section
admin, it is entirely possible that package will never be built.  All it
requires is for the rate of new packages entering the queue before zappa to
be equal to or greater than the rate of packages leaving the queue due to
having been built or removed.

If that happens for a too long period, we might consider such an
architecture to be too slow to keep up, and will eventually discuss
about kicking it out of the architectures we wait for testing migration
at all, or even kicking it out of testing at all. Not waiting for such
an arch has happened and might happen again.
I think it makes sense to shorten the list of arches we wait upon for testing migration, but I fail to see the usefulness of removing an arch from testing.

You may not see the usefulness of testing, but I run production servers on it because there are just too many packages that are too old and buggy or not available in the old stable release.  Yes, I've only used i386 and PPC, but that should not exclude that functionality from the users of those architectures that are not as popular (even if you need a log scale to see their relative popularity).

Mike