* Andreas Barth <aba@not.so.argh.org> [2005-03-16 12:18]:
> * Thomas Bushnell BSG (tb@becket.net) [050316 01:05]:
> > How does one become an ftpmaster or release manager?  How were the
> > current ones chosen?  Do they simply choose their successors?
>
> After working on release issues for some time (and offering hints etc),
> Collin asked me whether I want to become a release assistent.

Just to clarify since some people might not be aware of release
terminology: "offering hints" here doesn't mean "giving hints that you
want to be a release person" but "giving information about which
packages to hint into testing" (the testing scripts need some help
[manual hints] sometimes, e.g. when packages have to move to testing
at the same time).

http://lists.debian.org/debian-release/2004/06/msg00029.html is an
example (just one randomly grabbed from the archives).  See
http://ftp-master.debian.org/testing/hints/ for more information,
especially http://ftp-master.debian.org/testing/hints/README
--
Martin Michlmayr