Problems in the buildd network (was: Re: s390 not currently projected releasable)

On Wednesday 16 March 2005 06:20, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> Blars Blarson <blarson@blars.org> writes:
> > Another architecure that isn't keeping up to the 98% mark has a buildd
> > mainainter who insists (to the point of threating) that I don't build
> > and upload packages to help the build with its backlog and lack of
> > requeueing.
>
> So?  A buildd maintainer doesn't have a veto over other people
> uploading binary builds of packages.  W-b and buildd's do not have a
> monopoly over binary NMUs; the procedures are well documented in the
> Developer's Reference.  Seems to me that either the package maintainer
> or the porting team should be consulted, but given that, the buildd
> has no special status or authority.  It's a nice thing, but it's not
> the only way to upload binary NMUs.

Additionally, this hints at hidden problems of this architecture which - in
the worst case - might lead to Debians sudden inability to support a
really-stable release on this architecture. Regardless of the outcome of the
post-Vancouver fallout, this is a problem that should be tackled before
blessing that arch as "stable".

Regards, David
--
- hallo... wie gehts heute?