Re: The sarge release disaster - some thoughts

On Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 02:06:01AM +0100, Matthias Urlichs wrote:
> Hi, Joey Hess wrote:

> > testing-proposed-updates is _still_ missing autobuilders.

> May I respectfully ask why that's been a problem for half a year now, IIRC?

> It's not THAT difficult to set up an autobuilder. People have volunteered
> to work on this problem, including several who have already demonstrated
> their basic ability to do so; all Somebody Else would have had to
> contribute is to add a key to the system's root SSH keyring and send a
> "here's the box, go do it" email.

So if it has taken us 6 months to get the problems with testing-security
sorted out, what do you suppose we would have done for security support if
we had frozen and released six months ago, without first sorting out these
problems?  Gone six months without being able to provide security support
for stable?  Dropped security support for oldstable without any warning?

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer