Matthew Palmer <mpalmer@debian.org> writes:

> There's no fixed number of slots associated with a job (apart from a couple
> of constitutionally-mandated ones, but they have strict ways of getting the
> job, too, so they're not predicated on "free time").  Nobody has to retire
> in order for someone else to start working on something.

This is true, but it is also unclear how one would go about
volunteering for the jobs in question.  Indeed, it's not clear who
chooses who does these jobs.  I know how one becomes the maintainer of
a package.  There are several ways, all well documented and easily
applied.

How does one become an ftpmaster or release manager?  How were the
current ones chosen?  Do they simply choose their successors?

Thomas