Re: Alternative: Source-Centric Approach [w/code]

On Tue, Mar 15, 2005 at 12:42:54PM -0500, Stephen Frost wrote:
> - Mirror only the popular archs.
> - Support buildds for stable-enough archs that run them.
> - Try to include everything in a release, but drop archs more
>   quickly than has been done in the past if there's a lack of
>   resources, but do outline what people need to do if they want the
>   arch included.
> - For archs that weren't able to make the cut, provide .debs for the
>   packages which don't have RC bugs.  Don't provide .debs for the
>   packages which have RC bugs on that architecture.  Attempt to include
>   the archs in security updates, but if it's not built fast enough or
>   whatever then drop the .deb for that package and provide the source
>   update.  A fixed .deb can be done later by whomever.
>
> I dunno, just some thoughts.  I don't like becoming a mostly source-only
> distro for less common archs.  If someone wants to build the debs and
> upload them, let them.

This sounds like the idea already going around of, essentially, 'build
what we can'.

I'm suggesting that we go a step further and enable a new segment of
the user base.  The turnkey people use x86 (+relatives) and PPC.  The
people on other arches can either step-up to provide resources to
Debian, or they can build what they need.

Of course, I'd rather not cut the support.  But John draws, IMHO, a
reasonable line in the sand.