Re: Release sarge now, or discuss etch issues?

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 09:07:47 +0100, Christian Perrier
<bubulle@debian.org> wrote:
>My personal concern now is avoiding to "throw out the baby with the
>bath's water" as we say in French.

Dropping the majority of our archictecture is exactly throwing out the
baby with the bath's water (we have the same saying in German).

>OK, the architecture handling is controversial. Fine...this will
>probably delay etch more than we would like. But could we please focus
>on releasing sarge first?

No. The longer the Vancouver Paper stands undisputed, the more it will
be regarded as "widely accepted". If the paper needs being thrown in
its author's faces, it needs to be _now_.

>(I'm quite saddened by
>Julien's hard attacks and proposal to do the Revolution).

I must admit, that he kind of speaks my mind. Of course, that means
that Debian will vanish in its entirety over the time. It is already
hard enough to convince suits to allow using Debian instead of SuSE or
Redhat, but if Debian disintegrates into two or even more sub-Debians,
this will be the end of Debian in commercial settings. _This_ is what
saddens me.

Now, Christian, how would you feel if somebody else would decide to
drop all language efforts besides English, French, German and
simplified Chinese? These feelings are the same feelings that the
porters have _right_ _now_.

Greetings
Marc, i386-only user, but stil concerned about alternative
architectures