Re: mplayer 1.0pre6a-4 for i386 and PowerPC and sparc

On Tue, 2005-03-15 at 00:56 +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> Well, there are two issues here, one is why mplayer is not in debian.
> Supposedly it was because the legal situation was not clear and that made it
> dangerous and maybe illegal for us to distribute it. I wonder why ubuntu does
> not have this problem (even it if is in universe/multiverse), and if maybe
> this means the problems got solved and it could be included in debian now, or
> maybe because ubuntu just didn't care about the legal dubious situation.
 Just a note, that their homepage[1] is something like closed:
"Free Software Multimedia Threatened by Software Patents

Closed for patent infringement
This site has been shut down because of numerous patent violations in
MPlayer. The other free software multimedia players are next." [...]

This is a preliminary warning, but everyone should look into all
possibilities.

Regards,
GCS/Laszlo
[1] http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/index.html