Release sarge now, or discuss etch issues? (was: Bits (Nybbles?) from the Vancouver release team meeting)

Christian Perrier <bubulle@debian.org> wrote:

> ...but quite sad (or happy?) to see that nearly only the proposal to handle
> architectures differently got criticism...while this proposal contains
> several other key point.

I do not understand why the Nybbles team mixed their good news about
sarge with their foreseeably controversial plans or proposal for etch.
I fear that we will have a huge, long flamewar.  And many competent,
active people will start coding implementations of alternatives to the
Nybbles plan, alternatives that will allow us to make releases also of
the SCC/tier-2 arches.

I think all this discussion about etch should be delayed until sarge is
out.  Of course we would need a statement from the Nybbles team that
they do not intend to make decicions, and not to settle facts before a
thorough discussion has taken place - after the release.

--
Frank Küster
Inst. f. Biochemie der Univ. Zürich